Two weeks ago while waiting for my hair appointment I picked up the local paper on the waiting area table. I leafed through and my eye caught an ad from one of the local funeral homes. The ad stated that the names it was listing were unclaimed ashes in their possession. It was a public notice that the remains would be disposed of if unclaimed within 6 weeks' time. I had no idea they did that. I figured everyone surely claims the ashes of their loved ones after they die?
I read through the list to see if there were any names there that I might recognize - just like reading the obituaries right? I was shocked at the number of names listed as "Baby Smith" or "Baby X". There were so many of them. Of a total of 88 names about 30 were infants.
Who were these infants' parents? Didn't they want to have the ashes buried or spread somewhere? How very sad.
And how did they die? Did they die at birth? Were they miscarriages or worse yet abortions? They didn't even have first names, just the surname.
And what about all the others who had full names? Where are their families and why would they not claim the ashes?
I was amazed by this. Never noticed it before in my life. It made me think about how we just end up as ashes someday and no one even cares.
Only God sees and cares. I know that.
No comments:
Post a Comment